Me Io Ako Ich Ja Yo Mim

My photo
Complusive. rover. Currently hanging in Cape Town, South Africa, but born and bred in Galway, Ireland. * Update - now to be found in London Town.

You paved the way, believe it...


So I'm living in Cape Town at the moment, have been since April. One clear benefit of this was I got the chance to be present during the FIFA World Cup, which ended on Sunday. Before we go any further, be under no illusion that I have any clue about soccer. Most of my "knowledge" comes from memorising certain sentences gleaned from my more-soccer-clued-in friends (basically everyone I know), and throwing them out at what seems the appropriate point in a conversation. For example, a particular favourite of mine after the Brazil v. Portugal game was "Can't believe Ronaldo got the man of the match. No. 23 was by far the better player - he dominated that end of the pitch in the first half." A risky undertaking you may think, especially since you could write what I know about "the footy" on the back of a stamp and still have room for the month's grocery list, but so far it's worked out pretty well for me.

Despite my clear lack of soccer knowledge, and the truth is that I spent a lot of matches playing "Who would you rather?" with my girlfriends (Focusing on balls of a different nature I guess!), I'm still pretty bummed that it's over. The atmosphere here for the past month has been amazing, and it's thrilling that the whole thing went off without a hitch. Watched the final in a Dutch pub here in CPT on Sunday, and even though they lost, it was one of the best nights of my life! Here's to Brazil 2014...and I'm gonna make it a life goal to even know what the offside rule is by then!

P.S. Even though I loved the Cup, I won't exactly be crying if I never hear that "Waka Waka" pig's ear of a song again. So many original artists here and they pick a Colombian. No offence Shakira, but you can just "waka waka" your way out of my life this second.

0 comments:

Post a Comment